- Do you have it now?
- Have you had it in the past?
- Do you recognise the signs of burnout?
The thing is you can get burnout from so many different things
- Burnout from your relationships
- Burnout from your family
- Burnout from your work
- Burnout from being a mum
- Burnout from money worries 💵
- Burnout from exercise 🏋️♀️
- Burnout from Christmas 🌲
Here are just a few signs of burnout
🥴Feeling less effective
😡Quick to anger
😖Inability to focus
Burnout is defined as being mentally and physically exhausted and it doesn’t just impact us on a work level it can affect us on a personal level.
I have personally felt burnout in most areas of my life over the years.
- Burnout being a mum and keeping of top of everything
- Burnout running so many fitness classes and exercise
- Burnout from money worries, business etc etc
There is a tipping point, an example is when I first started teaching fitness classes I was teaching 1-2 per week, then 4 classes per week which felt great, then it went to 8, then it went to 12 and it just tipped me over the edge and there were days when I couldn’t lift my head up off the pillow and I just felt like giving up and I started to hate life. Add to that the suicide of my brother and I was well and truly at burn out.
We often take things we are good at and do more, stacking in more and more of it and then we take on too much.
Add to that the combination of life and then ups and downs and you are setting yourself up for massive burnout!
There came a point where I was so overwhelmed I just wanted to walk away from it and even not be here because the thing I once loved just became too much!
We are not superhuman 🦸♀️! I have been guilty of this in the past too!
Which is why I am sharing this with you in the hope that it helps you to recognise the signs.
Please recognise that burnout is a form of stress which is killing us…
Stress will cause you to not only gain weight, it will disrupt your hormones and leave you feeling bitter and angry.
Those who are susceptible to burnout are
- Very conscientious people who want everything to always be perfect
- People pleasers
- Those people who always raise their hand to take on more jobs
- People who need recognition and praise
Well how should we deal with burnout?
- Be aware of it. Recognise the signs. Turn up the volume in your head that says you are doing too much, you need to rest.
- Learn to say NO.
- Learn to recognise what you love to do and what you don’t and stop agreeing to take on things you don’t want to do.
Fatigue – burnout – depression are all linked. One can lead into the other so it is really important to remember this.
If you are struggling right now then the best thing to do is SEEK HELP from a professional. It is not a sign of weakness to ask for help.
Don’t suffer in silence.
And I want you to think about it this way. If we have a broken leg we would go and see a doctor no questions asked. If you are mentally exhausted then see it as the same thing and seek help from a professional who can help you.
And as I said
Learn to say NO
Learn to say NO
It doesn’t make you a bad person not doing what someone else wants you to do or thinks you should do.
If someone thinks you are a bad person then that is their problem not yours and you don’t need them in your life.
Please feel free to share if you think it may help someone close to you x